When The Software Server Is Wrong

May 27, 2017


So after hemming and hawing at Minetest to run mods without crashing, I took a step back and looked at the problem logically. Most of the mods I was installing were being kept up-to-date. More importantly, forum-dwellers with my same problem were continuously told to upgrade to the latest version of Minetest.

Surely I have the latest version?

I looked and found out that I had not installed Minetest from a file downloaded from the Minetest site. Instead, I had downloaded Minetest with Linux Mint’s software management system, along with two popular mods. However, that was apparently an older version, with less compatibility.

The solution? Using the software management system to uninstall Minetest and the two mods. Then, and this is where it got painful, I needed to delete my .minetest folder, with all my modified mods and saves and so-on.

Then I had a clean system.

From there, it was off to the minetest website to download the latest dev version (the stable version is for chumps, apparently.)

Once I had that version installed, the stable, maintained mods worked as long as they didn’t interfere with each other. I was able to get a stable set of mods working in a tenth of the time that I had spent on modifying mods with the old version from the software repository. So that problem is now mostly fixed.

I’ve got an entirely different problem now. Too many nodes! The game can only handle 32k nodes before it crashes. (Well, it’s a graceful quit with a helpful message, actually.) So I just have to decide which mods need to be deactivated. What a shame. I wish I could play with all those mods, with all those many nodes. Maybe a future version will bump the max count of nodes up to 64k (should be possible with an unsigned int or assigning nodes to negative numbers…) or even a 64-bit maximum. I am, after all, on a 64-bit operating system on a 64-bit processor. I should be able to have a million different forms of dirt in my game if I want.

Decisions, decisions….